Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Aerin's First Birthday


As of 10:48 a.m., my baby girl was one year old. I feel happy and tired, like I've just finished a long hike uphill. I have such a sense of accomplishment and of pride in my daughter, who was quite literally at death's door just one year ago today.

Andrew and I had a quiet and joyful day with Aerin. We just spent time together and marvelled at the difference a year makes. We did go out for lunch and we ran into one of my nurses (I spent the month before Aerin was born in the perinatal special care unit)! Nurse Mary remembered us and was thrilled to see Aerin and hear that it was her birthday. She told her friends that Aerin is a true miracle birthday and just gushed over what a gorgeous and healthy baby she is today. We had cake with supper and I gave Aerin some frosting, which she quite enjoyed. I of course bought her a birthday tiara, but she refused to wear it. Although she'll wear headbands and hoods, Aerin refuses to wear hats (and tiaras) for some reason. Maybe next year.

It's been an emotional day for me. Even though Aerin and I almost didn't survive her birth, it was the happiest day of my life. I was fighting sleep during my C-Section - I had lost a lot of blood that week and my body was worn out from 7 days on The Mag, so the epidural really made me drowsy. The doctors had warned me that her odds of survival weren't good, so I was determined not to miss her birth if that was the only time I was going to get with her. My wonderful OB, Dr. Davis, had her out in record time and handed her over to the neonatologist, Dr. Sequira. She was kicking and punching for all she was worth and she even cried a little before they bagged her. It was the last time I would hear her voice for weeks. Dr. Davis was still closing me up when they had to take Aerin to the NICU and they stopped briefly so that I could see her. Even then, she was exquisite. As I laid eyes on her for the first time, I had a beautiful moment of clear and perfect faith - I knew that G-d was watching over her and that she would be okay. This was accompanied by an overwhelming rush of pure love and elation.

We would not have gotten through this year without our family and friends who supported us and the doctors and nurses who took such exceptional care of Aerin. Our little family is truly blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy happy HAPPY birthday!

Best wishes to all the Marx family.

Imogen

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to a beloved grand-
daughter, and great grandaught.What a wonderful year it has turned out to be, the happiest of our lives.
We adore you,
Grandnana, and GreatGram

Anonymous said...

Lots of love and best wishes for your first blessed birthday.
Lynne, Charlie, and all the girls.

Anne/kq said...

I remember reading of Aerin being born. I remember praying hard, crying my eyes out as I pled with all my heart and soul for that little one to be allowed to stay with you on this earth. I remember giving thanks for every day she did better, and pleading for her to continue getting better. I remember turning a prayer before lunch into a five-minute plea for her life, and another prayer before another lunch into a joyous thank-you when she came home from the hospital. We'll never know or comprehend all you went through when she was born, but we will always remember the prayer and fasting we did for her and for you, and how close it made us feel to your little family. We'll always be grateful that she was sent to give you such joy even through times of such anxiety. It is truly a miracle that she has thrived the way she has. She is an amazing little one, and we are so glad that we will have the chance to know her as she grows up.

Happy birthday, Aerin. We will give special thanks tonight for you being allowed to have this birthday, and we wish you many more, each happier than the last for you and your family.

We love you!