Sunday, July 01, 2007

Update

Aerin's Uncle Daniel is visiting and she has really taken to him. She even pulled off his glasses and gave them to me after a half-hearted attempt to put them back on him. She loves to take off my glasses and try to put them back on my face. Luckily I have good reflexes or I'd have been stabbed in the eye many, many times.

We went out to supper and then to Huguenot Park, which is very close to our house. They have a fantastic playground, the nicest I've ever seen. Aerin mostly just wants to walk around the path that circles the playground (but is inside the gate). She did follow me up 3 "stories" of the playground apparatus. Andrew took her down a slide and she wasn't impressed. I think she'll have more fun as she gets used to it.

Aerin has developed some eating quirks which have made mealtimes twice as long. First, she will only tolerate 2 pieces of food on her placemat at a time, max. Any more than that and it will all get swept onto the floor. Aerin either eats what we eat or baby food. The other night she ate an entire meal of roast turkey breast (which I cook often - it's so much easier than cooking a full turkey) and steamed green beans piece by piece by piece by piece. My meal was ice cold by the time I finished, because Aerin fussed if I didn't keep the pieces coming. Then, yesterday, she refused to eat steamed carrots, which I know she loves. So I had decided to let it go when a dog fight scared her. I took her on my lap and she started scarfing down the carrots (her bowl was in front of me). As soon as I put her back in her seat, she refused the carrots again, so I held her until she'd finished them all.

Yahoo Photos is closing, so we are switching all of our photos to Flickr. You can find our photo album here. It's going to take a couple of weeks for the transfer to complete, so don't worry if you don't see very many photos at first.

I want to thank everyone who emailed me with offers to donate blood to Aerin. We've had to keep ourselves so isolated that it's sometimes hard to remember that there are so many people who love our family. Y'all are wonderful, we're very blessed to have you in our lives. Aerin's blood will be supplied by Virginia Blood Services. They don't take out-of-state donations and there's a lot of hoops to jump through for a directed donation.

Lastly, Aerin weighed in at a whopping 26.5 pounds! The nurse was so surprised that she weighed her 3 times to make sure. Aerin is just very, very muscular, which is why she looks much smaller than she is. Dr. Haynes was very happy with her weight, so it's nice to know that we've done exactly what we were supposed to.

3 comments:

Anne/kq said...

Wow, she's almost as big as Emma!

One of those "mom skills" one has to learn-- eating with one hand without looking at one's food while one feeds baby with the other and watches her!

You just wait until Aerin starts climbing the equipment, you won't know what hit you!

You're still in our prayers. Let us know the exact date of the surgery and we will fast for Aerin on the day of her surgery.

Anne/kq said...

Hey, Kira, you're now a Rockin' Girl Blogger!

Anonymous said...

Marx Family,
You are always in our thoughts and prayers, especially little Aerin.
She is growing into a special and beautiful little girl, and as you said, trust that the good Lord is watching over her.