Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Partial Update

Aerin is now 8 months old! I know I say this every month, but I can't believe it. Medically, she's doing great. We've all had colds these past couple of weeks. Aerin is now big enough for a decongestant and that really helped her. Our pediatrician told me that it would make her either hyper or make her sleepy. I was pretty nervous about giving it to her because she's on such a great sleep schedule, but, luckily for all of us, it makes her tired. It was just a head cold - I know because I listened to her chest every day. I was worried, but not to the degree I've been in the past. Aerin needs to get colds to strengthen her immune system and we're out of RSV season, so pneumonia isn't a threat at this point. We will have to go underground this coming winter, but it will be the last one, as preemies usually catch up to their peers by age 2.

Aerin is a gifted athlete and contortionist. Every night I put her to sleep at the foot of her crib. Every morning she wakes up either at the head or facing the opposite way or perpendicular to where I set her down. We had an incident where Andrew was changing her and I was preparing the bottle in the kitchen. I heard Andrew shout and I looked over at them. Aerin was on her tummy on the changing table and both she and Andrew had stunned expressions on their faces. Then they both turned to look at me with identical expressions of shocked bewilderment - it was hilarious. Apparently, Aerin had done some kind of backflip or somersault. Andrew still hasn't recovered.

Aerin is mellowing out somewhat. She still insists on being held most of the time, but she is going in her bouncy chairs and swings more and more. She loves when I sing to her and she absolutely loves peek-a-boo. I think she's going to like rollercoasters more than her mother because she loves to be "thrown" up in the air (it's more of a push - we don't let go). Her smile is truly the most glorious thing I have ever seen.

This weekend is a big milestone for us - our first out-of-town trip! We're headed to Bethlehem, PA to visit our dear friends Jim and Amy and their lovely daughter Emily Anne. Amy is hosting her annual tea and I've been looking forward to it for months. Our other good friends, Byran and Corina, will also be there with their twins Tristan and Aidan. This will be the first time Aerin has been around other young children (almost 2 and 3.5) and I'm very interested to see how everyone reacts.

No comments: