Sunday, October 08, 2006

Finally!

We have some good news - Aerin is finally getting a tooth! She's been teething for months with no teeth in sight and it's been pretty unpleasant for all of us. It's coming in on the bottom and I have to say that I'm relieved. I was having visions of having her fitted for baby dentures.

I had a long talk with out pediatrician, Dr. Al-Mateen, about Aerin's surgery. I feel much better. An anesthesia consult is part of the pre-op exam at St. Mary's, where the surgery will take place. Their pediatric anesthesia team is the best, which is so important. Fortunately, Aerin does not have BPD, which would have made anesthesia risky. Also, they'll sedate her before starting an IV and putting her out, so she won't have any fear or pain. They'll also let me into the recovery room, so I'll be there when she wakes up. I'll be the last thing she sees before she goes to sleep and the first thing she sees when she wakes up, which is a huge relief for me. Dr. Al-Mateen wasn't able to say if she'll have to stay overnight. That wouldn't bother me - Aerin was in the St. Mary's PICU for more than 2 weeks. She'll be on the regular peds. ward this time and I can stay with her. We will most likely have our plastic surgery consult on Thursday and we'll know more then.

I think I've figured out what's got me unnerved about this surgery. In the NICU and the PICU, procedures are done at the bedside. I was always able to be in the room or just outside whenever Aerin had something done. This time, they'll take her into the OR and I can't be in there.

2 comments:

Anne/kq said...

Oh, Kira! I can imagine that letting them take your baby out and do surgery on her would be so scary. I hear about it from my mom all the time; the hardest prat of having a baby with a craniofacial disorder (that's where she works, craniofacial), according to her, is having to trust the doctors with your baby's life over and over again while there's no way you can be there or do anything but wait and pray. I know you are strong and will be fine, but I wish I could be there to sit with you while she goes in; if there was any way on earth I could afford it, I'd buy a ticket and hop on a plane. But I know that you have friends and family who will be with you to help you handle the stress, and I'm sure that you and Aerin both will do just fine in the end. I just wish that I could do more than pray, myself. You know that I will be there in my heart.

If it helps at all, I was put under general anesthesia for a procedure when I was 12, and I really don't remember anything between my mom stroking my hand and singing softly to me and waking up in Recovery with her beside me. So their assurances really are true, Aerin won't remember any time without you there.

If you need anyone to talk to, e-mail me. I am happy to write, chat, or even call you any time you need it (we never use all our cell phone minutes, so it won't cost us extra if you need me to call.) Just let me know how I can be there for you and your family, and I will.

Anonymous said...

Marx family,
We are all praying for you.We trust Aerin will be even better than before.