Monday, September 19, 2005

One Week Old: Part 2

Aerin's PICC line went in, but it went in too far and had to be adjusted. A second x-ray confirmed that it was just where it should be and both of her umbilical lines came out.

Today was the first time we've seen her entire face since she was born. The bililight went off and she hasn't had to be re-intubated. She is such a gorgeous baby.

She had her first feeding and I got to feed her! It was only a matter of holding the syringe and letting gravity pull the milk down her feeding tube, but it was thrilling. Her next feeding is tomorrow at 3:00 a.m. and we'll find out then how she tolerated it. This is her next big milestone, so I'm pretty nervous.

I also got to change her diaper for the first time, which was fantastic. I actually changed two, and both of them by myself (with the nurse's supervision). However, the best part of today was that I got to hold her up when the nurse changed her blankets. It's the first time I held her and it was the second best moment of my life (the first being when she was born). I'm quickly getting over being scared to touch her and I can't get enough of it.

She gained another half an ounce, which brings her up to 1 pound, 11 ounces. She's just one pound away from her birth weight. Dr. Rose, one of the neonatologists I met for the first time today, said we can expect weight gains from 10-30 grams each day. She is very pleased with Aerin's progress. Chris, Aerin's day nurse, said she is doing "remarkably well." I am trying very hard not to get ahead of myself, but I am cautiously optimistic.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Kira - I remember the first time I held Stephen after he was whisked away to the NICU. He was about 10 days old and I remember those feelings so vividly I sit here with tears running down my face. You have such a beautiful daughter. May she and you be ever blessed. May she grow strong and healthy and run circles around you a year from now!

Love Wendybird