Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Day 29: Part 2


Bath time was great - I felt more confident this time. Aerin's nurse, Jennifer, showed me a new way to wash her hair. We swaddled her in a blanket and took her out of the isolette. Then I held her in a football hold and washed her hair with a baby brush. She loved it and I loved holding her like that. I really liked having Andrew there and he did a great job of capturing everything on film (we're still trying to figure out how to get video footage online). After her bath, I got to kangaroo her, which is always sublime. Jennifer told me that a mother's body will adjust to whatever temperature will benefit the baby - if the baby is cold, the mother will warm up and if the baby is warm, the mother will cool down. I know that there are some who will say that this is biology, but they're wrong - it's mothers' love.

Aerin is up to 2 pounds, 5 and 1/3 ounces!

Andrew and I often talk quietly while I kangaroo Aerin, as we did this evening. The things that most new parents are starting to find tedious by the time their babies are one month old are fantastic for us. Giving Aerin a bath is the highlight of our week and we're thrilled when she has poopy diapers (it means that her digestive system is working like it should). We know how special these things really are. And in some ways, it'll be easier for us when we bring Aerin home. We'll know what we're doing, because the NICU nurses are such good teachers and they really encourage us to be involved in her care.

Today we said good-bye to Aerin's New York City grandma, Rita Marx. We had a great visit and can't wait to see her next month!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay for the weight gain, yay for the bath, and especially yay for the love. :)

Free video hosting and sharing for up to 20 mb at http://www.zippyvideos.com/ , if that helps!

-Anne/kq