Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Day 57: It Just Keeps Getting Better


The good news keeps coming in floods. Today was a monumental day for our entire family. Aerin came off the cannula! No more supplemental oxygen. It was the first time I've ever seen her without her nasal tube (except for when she was on the vent) and she looks even more beautiful without it. We also got the results of 2 important tests back. Her head ultrasound is completely normal. That's her 3rd normal head ultrasound and Dr. Weisberg told me that we can basically rule out any chance of brain bleeds or damage. She had an eye test and her ROP resolved itself! I have to admit that I was worrying about that one. The only test she has left is her hearing test. I don't know when it will be, but hopefully within the next week or so.

Earlier this evening, Aerin nursed for the very first time. She latched on immediately and managed a few sucks. As her nurse, Nancy, said, this is exceptional for a first attempt. She dry-nursed while they gave her a full tube feed, so that she can connect the breast with filling her tummy. She did a couple of sucks during the feed and a couple right after and it wore her out. I loved it and cannot wait until she's nursing exclusively. Nancy said that she has a really good chance to go home nursing. The lactation consultant, Beth, is going to sit in with us tomorrow. I've worked with Beth to increase my production and she's great. She's also a nurse in the NICU. (Incidentally, today I helped her find nursing pamphlets in Spanish for a patient who speaks no English. I can't believe I remembered enough, but it just came back to me.)

It was a truly precious event for our little family. After making sure Aerin was positioned correctly and her feeding was hooked up, Nancy left Andrew, Aerin, and me alone in the Bonding Room. We've waited so long and it was so natural for us all to be together while I fed the baby. I can't wait till we can be together like that in our home.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Todays post brought tears to my eyes. I am so glad for all of your good news. It is gret that You and Aerin did so well with nursing! Keep up the great work.
~jen~

Anonymous said...

Our entire family had tears in our eyes as we read your latest post.
We have all been praying for the three of you.
GOD bless.

Anonymous said...

We are soooo happy for you! How very very wonderful!
Love you! - Amy, Jim & Emily Anne